If you are worried about your level of household debt (personal unsecured debts), we may be able to offer some support.
At the very least, we will be able to signpost you to an expert debt advice organisation (regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority) that will look at your individual circumstances and offer tailored advice to your situation.
Please be aware that if you are serving clergy, some debt solutions (eg an individual voluntary arrangement or debt relief order) may negatively affect your position as a chair or member of your PCC.
If you are thinking of applying for debt support please contact us in total confidence:
CMCU restructuring loans
If you meet our eligibility criteria and need support to address your debt problem, we and our partner the Churches Mutual Credit Union (CMCU) may be able to help.
If you have personal unsecured debts of between £5,000 and £20,000, we could consider a grant of up to £5,000, disbursed to you annually through CMCU over a maximum of five years. This would be conditional on your setting up a CMCU restructuring loan and meeting the agreed repayment schedule.
Grants towards debt management plans
If you meet our eligibility criteria and need support to address your debt problem, we and our partner StepChange Debt Charity may be able to help.
If you have personal unsecured debts of over £20,000, we could consider a grant of up to 50% of the debt, up to a maximum of £10,000. This would be conditional on your obtaining confidential debt advice from StepChange Debt Charity, setting up a debt solution (eg a debt management plan) and meeting these repayments. Any grant approved would be paid towards settling outstanding debts, via StepChange.
Before you apply
To progress any application, we need the support document(s) listed above in the category type above and your verification document(s). Without these, we can't reach a decision.
The video shows you how to successfully:
- register on the application system
- take screenshots (Mac, PC, Phones and Tablets)
- get a copy of your stipend that isn't blank
- attach supporting documents to your application
Applying and documentation
How to apply
Please contact a member of the grants team to discuss your situation in confidence before you make an application.
Also, please check that you are eligible for debt support:
You may also find the questions and guidance helpful.
For all debt grant applications
- We may be able to consider a Debt Incentive Grant for those who have accrued debts prior to ordination. Please contact us before making an application.
- We are only able to help with debt grants once, per household.
- We would expect all debt applicants to have modest or no savings.
- We are only able to consider personal unsecured debts (bank loans, credit cards, store cards, overdrafts, commercial loans and car loans).
- We are unable to contribute towards debts for home or rental purchase, home improvement or maintenance, funding children through school/university, student loans, trading or running a business, legal fees or loans from family or friends.
- If you own more than one property it is unlikely you would qualify for a debt grant.
- If you were successful in receiving a grant, it would be on condition that you could only apply for emergency, wellbeing and health grants while receiving your debt grant (ie you would not be able to apply for a financial support grant - except funeral costs - during this time).