Wellbeing grants are for the whole household and are designed to help promote your work/life balance. Households can apply once every 12 months.

These are simpler grants to apply for as you won’t need to provide financial details (except for school fees), though we do ask you to declare you have less than £16,000 in savings if you own property, or £200,000 if you don’t own property.

If you want more information about applying for a wellbeing grant please contact us via our contact form or on 0800 389 5192 or grants@clergysupport.org.uk.

Check your eligibility

Education and skills courses

Grants are available for up to £2,000 for you or a member of your household are living with mental, physical or learning disabilities (in receipt of ill health state benefits) and the person with the disability wants to:

  • Further his/her knowledge and skills in order to increase chances of employment in the future.
  • Improve self-esteem, social skills / support networks, integrating into society.  

In addition, grants for current and former spouses / civil partners of clergy who wish to attend a skills-based training course with the aim of expanding prospects of future employment, may also be available.

Please note that education grants will be unavailable for applicants who have left ordained Anglican ministry in order to pursue another career path.

First baby

If you are expecting your first child (including adoption) then you may apply for up to £1,000 towards costs.

Applications would need to include a copy of the birth certificate or appropriate adoption certificate (within 12 months of the birth / adoption).

Fitness and leisure activities

Exercise and social interaction can help to promote physical health, overall mood and general wellbeing.

You can apply for grants which promote health, increase social activities (hobbies) and reduce isolation, for up to £1,000 per year.

For example, you could apply for:

  • Exercise classes
  • Gym membership
  • Evening classes

Payment will usually be paid directly to the provider, where possible.


It is important for clergy to spend quality time with their family outside of the parish. In addition, retirees, separated spouses / civil partners and widows may wish to apply towards the cost of a holiday.

Applications towards the cost of an annual holiday will be considered up to £500 per adult and £300 per child (under 18 years old), with a total maximum grant of £2,000.

Relationship and family counselling

Help may be available for relationship and family counselling costs, regardless of whether you are currently in a relationship or family structure, and can include counselling needed due to past unhealthy relationships.

Counselling can be for individuals, as a couple, or with other family members such as children, step-children, adopted children etc.

Grants of up to £1,000 are available towards counselling support costs. Where possible, this would be paid to the counsellor directly for a set number of sessions (usually no more than 12), after which, we will review the need and may continue to help towards costs.

If you want to choose your own preferred practitioner, we would require them to be registered with an accredited register as listed on the website of Professional Standards Authority.

Respite breaks

Respite breaks are available for carers and their families where there are high level care needs within the household. 

Applicants may apply if they feel they need:

  • A break from day-to-day routines
  • A chance to enjoy new experiences and meet new people
  • Time to rest and recharge their batteries
  • To maintain friendships
  • Time to pursue personal interests, leisure or cultural activities
  • To improve health and wellbeing
  • Greater independence and self-confidence

Our definition of a carer is:

Someone of any age, who provides unpaid support to a family member, who could not manage without this help due to their age, illness, disability, mental ill health or substance misuse.  Carers may be family members, including children and young people, who live with the person they care for, or who live elsewhere.

Where possible, please provide a quote in relation to your preferred break. We would be able to consider a break up to £2,000.

In addition to the cost of the respite break, we may be able to consider a contribution towards spending money, up to £500. This will be discretionary and may be awarded on the merits of each individual case. We may also consider a grant towards travel insurance, up to £500.

Therefore, applicants are able to apply up to a maximum £3,000 (including spending money and travel insurance costs).

Please note: we would expect the person applying to be in receipt of disability / carer benefits.


Grants are available towards the cost of a wellbeing retreat, for singles, couples or families. We will consider funding up to £500 per adult and £300 per child (under 18 years old), up to a maximum grant of £2,000.  

Where possible, please apply before booking your retreat; although we understand that some retreats are urgently required. Hence we would be able to consider retrospective grants (where retreats have taken place in the last six months).


You can submit an applications towards the cost of a sabbatical, up to £1,000. With your application please supply some information about what you intend to do.

School fees (means tested)

In certain exceptional circumstances, we may be able to provide help towards private school fees where there is a compelling special educational need for a child to attend an independent school.

Children should normally be aged 11 years or over, although children under the age of 11 can be considered in exceptional circumstances.

We will consider the following:

  • The child has a specific educational need that the local maintained school cannot provide
  • Medical / health issues affecting the child (or his/her family)
  • The local school being in special measures
  • Bullying
  • A drastic change in the applicant’s circumstances (e.g. loss of job by applicant) where the child is already at independent school (on evidence of the latest school bill).

Support for children at choir schools is no longer provided, alongside children who are deemed ‘gifted and talented’ unless there is a compelling educational need.

All applications will require an Education Psychologist report. We may also be able to consider the costs towards an Educational Psychologist report (approx. £400-£500).

For all cases, an educational needs assessment will be conducted by our Education Advisor, who will provide advice as to whether there is a strong demonstrable special education need (via a home visit or telephone call). A parental preference for private education will not in itself be grounds for our support. In addition, the Education Advisor will require a letter of evidence from the head teacher of the alternative school, that states they can meet the child’s educational needs.

Help will only be considered towards the parent’s contribution, and only after the family have sought help from all other sources, e.g. bursary, family and other organisations etc. We would require any bursary to be already agreed and we would only ever be able to consider up to 50% of the total costs (e.g. if no bursary was available, we would only consider up to 50% of the costs).

Payments are usually made on a termly basis (August, December and March) and preferably made direct to the school.


Recipients of school fees may apply annually for further assistance. If circumstances are unchanged (e.g. bursary % amount is the same and the child is attending the same school as a day pupil or boarder), the grants team may approve a further year’s grant funding.

We would expect applicants to provide details of any increase in fees prior to the start of the new academic year (ideally June/July).   

In some circumstances, we would recommend a referral to our Education Advisor where:  

  • there has been any change in the type of education received (eg a move from day pupil to boarder or vice versa)
  • the child has changed schools throughout the year
  • we have funded a child up to the age of 11 and is due to commence secondary education / new school (likely to require a further education psychologist assessment)
  • the child has reached 6th form age (likely to require a further education psychologist assessment)

Where we fund one child within a family, we would be unable to support siblings with private school fees, unless the meet the criteria stated above.

Please note that you can apply for any of the above wellbeing grant categories through one grant application (you choose the category applied for as part of the application). If you have any queries please call our grants team confidentially on 0800 389 5192 or email us on grants@clergysupport.org.uk

Apply for a Wellbeing Grant

These grant categories are being phased out, and have not been available for new applications since 1 January 2018.

Further and higher education

Dependent children who have received a £500 further or higher education grant prior to 1 January 2018, will continue to receive this until they complete their undergraduate education.

Further and higher education grants and university maintenance grants do not count towards the one wellbeing grant per household in a 12 month period.

Please note: this category has been closed to new applications since 1 January 2018.

University grants

Dependent children who have received a £1,500 university maintenance grant prior to 1 January 2018, will continue until they complete their undergraduate education (i.e. studying for a degree or HND).

University grants and further & higher education grants fall outside of the ‘households are able to apply for one wellbeing grant, in every 12 month period’ rule.

Please note: this category has been closed to new applications since 1 January 2018.