Our emergency grants are designed to help in times of unforeseen crises or unexpected costs. These grants are smaller in value (usually up to £500) and decisions and payments can be made more quickly than for financial support grants. Please read the categories below (click + to expand).

If you are eligible to apply for emergency grants, you may apply for up to two emergency grants per household in each 12 month period.

Please check you are eligible to apply first, before completing an application form. You can also contact our grants team for more information on 0800 389 5192, grants@clergysupport.org.uk or via our contact form.

Check your eligibility


We are able to fund the replacement of household appliances, eg cooker, dishwasher, fridge, freezer, hob, microwave, oven, tumble dryer, washing machine etc, up to a maximum of £500.

Bereavement grant

For working age widows/ers who may need to vacate their tied housing home, we can offer a one-off emergency grant of £1,500 to help with this transition.


In certain circumstances, we are able to consider a grant of up to £500 for clothing:

  • New clerical robes
  • Where individuals may have fled domestic abuse
  • Dramatic change in weight
  • Households who are simply struggling to afford to buy new clothes

Curacy grant

For those who have just been ordained to stipendiary ministry, transitional grants are available to bridge the gap between the start of ministry and the payment of a first stipend. Grants available up to a maximum of £500.

Funeral costs

If you are looking for a small contribution towards funeral costs, we can consider a grant of up to £500 for a spouse, civil partner or child (under the age of 18).  

Funeral costs are unavailable for extended family (eg parents / aunts / uncles / siblings / adult children of serving clergy) unless the deceased extended family member was an ordained Anglican minister).

If you want to apply for a larger funeral grant, please check you are eligible to apply for one of our financial support grants.


We are able to offer grants towards essential items of furniture, up to £500, eg beds, sofas, bedroom furniture, chairs, carpets / flooring for applicants in crisis and need (eg as a result of separation/divorce, escaping domestic abuse, single parents, setting up home since becoming homeless, additional furniture required upon first purchased property for retirees, downsizing etc).

Please do not buy furniture in advance of applying to us, as we do not normally give grants retrospectively, ie for costs already incurred. However, if the situation or need was a genuine crisis, we may consider a grant towards furniture recently purchased, subject to satisfactory receipts being provided.

Gardening costs

If you are living in tied clergy housing and have extensive gardens, you may wish to apply for a grant of up to £500 towards garden maintenance costs.

In addition, those living with a registered disability and in receipt of ill health state benefits (whether in tied housing, rented or owned property) who may need to maintain a garden, may also apply.

General living expenses

Households may apply for a small general living expenses grant of up to £500, as long as the request demonstrably meets our charitable object of relief / prevention of poverty or hardship.

Heating costs

We are aware that some tied housing properties are expensive to heat during the winter. Applicants may apply up to £500 towards heating costs.

In addition, those living with a registered disability and in receipt of ill health state benefits (whether in tied housing, rented or owned property) who may have higher than average heating costs, may also apply.

Moving costs

For applicants who may have already secured a contribution towards moving costs, we are able to provide a quick, emergency grant of £500 in the following circumstances:

For serving clergy moving to a new Diocese, we would expect all applicants to have approached their current and/or future Diocese for help with moving costs in the first instance.  If there is a shortfall from the Diocese, we could potentially help with £500 towards these costs.

For retirees, widows or ex-partners, we are able to consider a contribution towards moving costs. In some circumstances, some applicants may wish to approach their Diocese for help, although this will not be conditional. 

Separation grant

For applicants who are having to leave the marital home or tied housing.  Eligible applicants may be ordained or in the case of non-ordained married spouses who have recently separated from their clergy partner and who are in a crisis situation (eg living in a refuge, friend’s house, other family, escaping domestic abuse) etc.

For the non-ordained partner, we will require a letter (or email) of support from one of the following: Bishop’s Visitor, Broken Rites or diocese, confirming the separation, we are able to consider a one-off emergency payment of up to £1,500.

Any payments will need to be made to an individual bank account. Payments to joint bank accounts will not be made.


We are able to provide grants of up to £500 for laptops / PCs in the event that these breakdown, as long as they are not the property of the Diocese.  We are also able to help with these costs for immediate family members.


We are able to provide a grant of up to £1,000 towards transport / accommodation costs in the event of a short-term unforeseen circumstance, eg costs of attending health appointments, visiting a family member in hospital, in cases of emergency, visiting children through separation and travel costs to a family member’s funeral.

We are not able to pay towards the transport costs associated with everyday ministerial duties.

You can apply for any of the above emergency grant categories through one grant application. When applying, please read the guidance notes to help you ensure you have the necessary information to hand.

If you have any queries, please call our grants team in confidence on 0800 389 5192, grants@clergysupport.org.uk or contact form.

Please apply for one category per application, as listed above, taking into consideration your most urgent area of need. Applications which request help from multiple categories are likely to experience processing delays.

Apply for an Emergency Grant


If you are returning to finish an existing application then please go here.
You may also find the Grants FAQ page helpful.