If you or a member of your household is living with a temporary or long-term health condition (physical or mental), we may be able to help.

Below are a number of health categories where we can provide support (click + to expand), but it is not an exhaustive list. Where there is a specific need, in relation to a health condition in your household we may request your consent for our medical advisor to speak with your nominated health professional.

We would advise contacting the grants team before applying for a health grant. Contact them via our contact form or on 0800 389 5192 or grants@clergysupport.org.uk.

Check your eligibility

Assistive technologies

Assistive technologies are products and services that empower disabled people to become more independent. People who have disabilities often have difficulty performing activities of daily living (ADLs) independently or even with assistance. ADLs are self-care activities that include toileting, mobility, eating, bathing, dressing and grooming.

The term covers a wide variety of technologies from education computer software, screen readers, hearing aids and environmental controls enabling users to operate doors, computers, tablets and other household appliances. Some technologies are relatively low cost, however, others remain relatively expensive such as communication aids.

In addition, we are able to provide mainstream technology (laptops/tablets/mobiles) for applicants living with long term disabilities/conditions, where there can be demonstrated a clear educational, social or wellbeing need.

We would expect all applicants to request any such equipment via NHS or social services in the first instance. In some cases, we may require an Occupational Therapy report / recommendation as part of the application.


We are able to consider costs towards bereavement counselling for members of the household (including dependent children).

You would be expected to source your own counsellor, who would need to be registered with an accredited register as listed on the Professional Standards Authority.

Grants of up to £1,000 are available towards counselling support costs. Where possible, this would be paid to the counsellor directly for a set number of sessions (usually no more than 12), after which, we will review the need.

Care home fees (means tested)

Limited help can be considered towards the costs of nursing home care where the shortfall in fees cannot be met by own resources, the State, local authority, other relevant charities or family.

With any application, we would expect to see the assessed shortfall from social services (after local authority contribution and applicant contribution) and would require that total savings (and assets if a single person) are less than the relevant savings threshold for local authority funding.

Applicants with a vacant owned property will only be considered for a grant in the first year and support will be capped at £6,000 or less for retired clergy with less than 40 years of service. Further help will only be considered once the vacant property is sold and any resulting savings and assets fall to below the relevant savings threshold for local authority funding.

For all application requests for nursing / care home fees, (whether stipendiary or self-supporting), we will take into account length of service prior to retirement, measured against a typical 40-year ministerial career. Maximum grants may be pro-rated, based on length of service since ordination as a percentage of 40 years.

The Grants Team will seek to determine the ability of other family members to cover the shortfall (remaining partner’s capital available) and encourage you to seek additional sources of funding.

Any approved grant contributions will normally be paid direct to the local authority (on a monthly or quarterly basis).  For all cases, we will check with the local authority who is the appropriate party to pay top-up fees (e.g. some local authorities may view payments direct to a care home as a personal contribution).

Before applying for care home fees, we strongly recommend you contact our grants team on 0800 389 5192 or grants@clergysupport.org.uk

Apply for Care Home Fees


We are able to consider grants towards the cost of some private dentistry costs. We would not normally fund retrospective dentistry costs, but understand emergency cases would need to be retrospective in application.

It is unlikely we would consider purely cosmetic procedures (unless of a reconstructive nature). We are not able to provide continuing private dental costs on an ongoing basis.

Diagnostic Tests

We may be able to consider the cost of diagnostic tests unavailable on the NHS or Irish Health Service or those which have unreasonable waiting times (e.g. more than 6 months).

Household adaptations

This category covers essential adaptations of a home that you own/occupy to accommodate reasonable adjustments directly related to a clearly defined long term health condition or disability (e.g. where there is a medical need). Unfortunately, we are not able to support household adaptations of rented accommodation.

Such applications could include wet room conversions, sensory rooms, accessibility within the house or garden etc. The would be a need to illustrate that such an adaptation would have a substantial improvement in quality of life, mobility, independence, wellbeing and comfort.  

We do expect that you have approached your local authority first to see you are eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. If eligible but the waiting time is over 12 months, we will consider the application in full, as long as there is a justification in terms of immediate need. Preferably this would come in the form of a letter of support from a health professional.

With the application you will need to provide an Occupational Therapists Assessment report from your Occupational Therapist and/or other agencies, and a supporting letter from their GP or specialist health professional (specialist nurse/consultant etc).

Where possible, two quotes are to be provided when considering applications towards non-specialist works. At least one quote will be required when considering more specialist works.

Mobility aids and equipment

Where possible, we encourage you to provide an Occupational Therapy or physiotherapy assessment when applying for funding towards mobility aids or equipment. This is to ensure the most appropriate, personalised and safe equipment is being provided.

Applications may include:

  • Adjustable beds
  • Stair lifts *
  • Electronic Scooters
  • Wheelchairs / manual and electronic
  • Riser/recliner chairs

We would expect all applicants to have approached the NHS/social services for such equipment in the first instance.  For example, if you have already been provided a wheelchair and there is no provision for further NHS funding, we may be able to help with the costs towards a second wheelchair (e.g. a lighter version for going out and about).

You will need to demonstrate how the assistive technology would impact your independence at home, school or work, ability and confidence.

For applications over £1,000, we will require an assessment report (from an Occupational Therapist or Physio), to ensure we are providing the best available long-term solution.

Where possible, two quotes must to be provided, however one quote will be acceptable if dealing with bespoke, specialized equipment. For any equipment funded, we will expect you to manage regular servicing of equipment and be responsible for extending any warranties.

* For those living in rented accommodation, we would expect applicants to seek permission from landlord’s, if considering installing a stair lift.

Occupational therapy assessment

Applications for assistive technologies, household adaptations, or mobility aids require an Occupational Therapist assessment. We may be able to cover the cost of the initial assessment.  

Occupational Therapist assessments can also cover help and advice around mental illness (including dementia), learning disabilities (autism), dyspraxia, ADHD, coordination difficulties etc.

Occupational Therapists must be registered and sourced from the Royal College of Occupational Therapists.


Therapies for which you can apply include counselling, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), physiotherapy, speech and language therapy, hypnosis etc.

To apply, the treatment must either be unavailable on the NHS or if available, an unreasonable waiting time for treatment. We would usually be able to fund up to £1,000 on therapies.

If you want to choose your own preferred practitioner then we would require them to be registered on the Professional Standards Authority.

Traumatic Events

We are able to support clergy and their dependents if they have experienced a recent traumatic experience (e.g. marriage breakdown, abuse, bullying, sexual assault etc).

Help and support will be tailored to what you are requesting, up to £2,000. Please contact our grants team so we can support you with any application.

Please note that you can apply for any of the above health grant categories through one grant application (you choose the category applied for as part of the application). If you have any queries please call our grants team confidentially on 0800 389 5192 or email us on grants@clergysupport.org.uk

Apply for a Health Grant

We would expect those diagnosed with a long-term condition to be in receipt of eligible state benefits.

Retrospective applications are not normally funded, nor are private treatments or procedures which are available on the NHS or Irish Health Service.