To qualify for one of these grants (one every 12 months), we require information about your household income (including benefits) and assets, who lives with you, and your housing costs. We then compare your disposable income to a clergy-adapted version of the Minimum Income Standard, which is determined each year by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, to determine if you are eligible for a grant.

Please read the categories below (click + to expand) and choose one category per application. If you have multiple needs, please under your most priority need, or consider applying for a general living expenses grant.

If you are serving clergy, then we will ask for a copy of your latest stipend slip. If you are applying for a specific purpose then please provide a quote, receipt or invoice.

Check you are eligible to apply first, before completing an application form. If you have any queries, please call our grants team in confidence on 0800 389 5192, or contact form.

Check your Eligibility

Car deposits

Grants are available for a car deposit up to £3,000 (this includes leasing vehicles via the Motability Scheme). We would advise you to apply to us before committing to finance a new or second-hand car, as your application may not meet our means-test criteria.

Please provide:

  • Two quotations of the type of car you are looking to buy.
  • Details of how you intend to fund any remaining finance.

Car repairs

If you wish to apply for a grant under £500 for car repairs, you can do so quickly through our emergency grants.  

Or, if you think you may qualify through low income for a financial support grant, we can consider grants of up to £1,500 towards car repairs.

We are unable to help towards repairs due to road accidents as we would expect insurance to cover this.

Please provide:

  • A quote detailing the type of repairs required and the total cost.
  • Or an invoice or receipt (dated within the last two months) which details the total amount paid.

If you are successful in receiving a grant based on a quote, we may request to see a copy of the receipt after the amount is awarded.

Childcare costs

If you are struggling to meet the costs of childcare and are:

  1. in the process of separation, divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership
  2. in ministry/working full or part-time
  3. or have a health condition or period of illness that has prevented full time childcare,

then we may be able to consider a grant towards these costs (for a transitional period of two years only, up to £3,000 per year).

In the case of separated individuals, it is likely that we would support the parent with primary custody and in receipt of all relevant child-related benefits.

Please check that you are receiving all government funded-childcare before you apply (up to 30 hours per week or 1,140 hours per year), for children between 3 and 4 years old.

Please provide:

  • A quote, statement or invoice which illustrates the cost of childcare.
  • How many hours of childcare per week you are currently paying for.
  • Any other informal support you are receiving in terms of childcare (family/friends).

Funeral costs

In the event of a family bereavement (spouse, civil partner or child under the age of 18), we are able to consider grant support towards the cost of the funeral. We appreciate that applications will be retrospective in nature. We are unable to consider costs towards wake or catering costs.

Alternatively, you may apply for a smaller funeral grant under Emergency grants. This is a simpler application process, with fewer questions and quicker outcomes. These grants are limited to £500.

Unfortunately, we are unable to fund funeral costs for extended family (eg parents, aunts, uncles, siblings, adult children) unless the deceased was an ordained Anglican minister.

If you (or a member of you immediate family) need emotional support in relation to a recent bereavement, please consider applying for a health grant for bereavement counselling support.

Please provide:

  • a copy of the invoice or receipt (detailing any amounts paid or outstanding)


We are able to fund some essential items of furniture, up to £2,000, eg beds, sofas, bedroom furniture, chairs, for applicants in crisis and need (eg as a result of separation or divorce, domestic abuse, single parents, setting up home since becoming homeless, additional furniture required upon first purchased property for retirees, downsizing etc.).

We will ask if you have contacted your diocese, landlord, housing association or local authority for help in the first instance (especially for carpets/flooring etc).

Please do not buy furniture in advance of applying to us, as there is no guarantee you will qualify for a grant. However, if the situation or need was a genuine crisis, we may consider a grant towards furniture already purchased.

We are unable to fund or replace furniture due to wear and tear where there is no genuine need or crisis situation.

You can also apply for Furniture under Emergency grants. This is a simpler application process where fewer questions are asked and decisions and payments are quicker; however these grants are limited to £500.

Please provide:

  • quotes for the goods which you wish to purchase.
  • Or an invoice or receipt (dated within the last two months) which details the amount paid.

General living expenses

If you are struggling financially and you are in genuine need, you can apply for a general living expenses grant.

Before you apply for this category, please look at the other grants which may meet your specific area of need:

Please provide:

  • Any quotes or invoices that support your application.
  • Details about your situation and how this grant may help you.

Moving costs

If you are serving clergy moving to a new diocese, we would expect you to approach your diocese for help with moving costs in the first instance. It is unlikely we would help with moving costs in these circumstances.

If you are retired, a widow/er or ex-spouse/civil partner of clergy, we may be able to contribute towards moving costs. If appropriate, you may wish to contact your diocese for help.

If you are physically unable to pack for your move (due to age or disability), we will consider additional costs of a packing service.

Please provide:

  • Where possible, please provide at least two quotations as part of your application.
  • If you require a packing service, please also provide a quote for this.

Property maintenance

We can only consider property maintenance grants for residing owner occupiers. Retired clergy living in CHARM properties can also apply (if you are responsible for the maintenance of the property).

We will prioritise help where there is a specific impact on health and safety, eg where there is a medical / long-term condition within the household.

We can consider contributions towards the cost of boiler repairs or replacements, help with damp issues, new flooring, roof repairs, window replacements etc, up to a maximum of £3,000 and on the condition that you are able to fund any remaining cost.  

If you are living in private rented accommodation, always check with letting agents / landlords for any property-related repairs that need attention. In exceptional circumstances, we may consider help towards property maintenance costs for you.

We are unable to consider property maintenance grants towards any non-residing/investment rental properties or tied clergy housing.  

If you live in tied clergy housing, grants are available towards gardening and heating costs, up to £500 under Emergency grants.

Please provide:

  • At least two quotations for any proposed works and how this is impacting on your health and safety. Please ensure you take references and check reviews on any suppliers you intend to work with (Check-a-Trade / Trust-a-Trader) etc.
  • Evidence of responsibility of such works if living in a Church of England Pension Board (CHARM) property.

Rent advances

If you are in immediate need to move, we may be able to offer grants for rent advances and deposits, such as:

  • A crisis situation, such as domestic abuse.
  • Marriage or relationship breakdown,
  • Moving to be closer to friends/family to help with caring responsibilities or increase social network.

We would encourage you to use a letting agency registered with one of the following:

  • National Approved Lettings Scheme
  • Association of Residential Letting Agents
  • National Association of Estate Agents
  • Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
  • UK Association of Letting Agents (UKALA) / National Landlords Association

We would also request that:

  • Any proposed future property is affordable for you long-term (ie projected income / housing benefit and monthly budgeted costs). Also consider additional increases in rent, commuting costs, any service charges / ground rent due.
  • Any rent deposits must be held in one of the three deposit holding schemes which are regulated by the government: Deposit Protection Service (DPS), MyDeposits, or the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS).  There are separate deposits schemes for Scotland and Northern Ireland.
  • If you have little or no furniture, consider a furnished property.
  • Ensure you have a signed tenancy agreement in place.
  • Where possible, avoid paying a retainer / holding deposit on a property before a grant has been approved. However, we appreciate you may need to secure a home quickly, if you are in a crisis situation. We are therefore able to consider a retrospective application in these circumstances. Where possible, please provide a letter of support from a Bishop's Visitor or equivalent.

It is unlikely we would be able to support applications where income is insufficient to meet housing costs in the long-term.

We will normally agree to fund up to £2,000 for an initial deposit, first month’s rent and any additional costs towards the move. We are also able to consider moving costs, so please provide two quotes for this.

If you have received a previous rental deposit grant from us, and you decide to move again, we will take into account the previous grant you received.

Please provide:

  • The reason for your move.
  • Evidence of the monthly rent/deposit.
  • Where possible, a copy of the tenancy agreement.
  • Evidence that your deposit will be held in one of the government regulated holding schemes.

Please note that you can apply for one of the above grant categories through a financial support grant application (you choose the category applied for).

Our financial support grants are means-tested against an externally-validated benchmark, the Minimum Income Standard, which (in the case of clergy for whom housing is provided) we adjust for housing costs. At present, single stipendiary clergy for whom housing is provided are unlikely to qualify for a financial support grant if their net disposable income exceeds around £12,500. Similarly a couple where one person is stipendiary clergy may not meet our criteria where total net disposable income for the household exceeds around £21,000. But please do consider applying for our wellbeing and emergency grants which are not means-tested.

If you have any queries, or you are self-supporting (non-stipendiary) or retired clergy, please call our grants team in confidence on 0800 389 5192 or email us on

Please apply for one category per application, as listed above, taking into consideration your most urgent area of need. Applications which request help from multiple categories are likely to experience processing delays.

Apply for a Financial Support Grant


Thank you for your patience. We are experiencing some delays due to a high number of applications. You can still apply online or call us; we may take longer to get back to you.

If you are returning to finish an existing application then please go here.
You may also find the Grants FAQ page helpful.

Check: Before you apply, please ensure you have looked at our more specific wellbeing grants (eg holidays, retreats) and emergency grants (car breakdown, funeral and other unexpected costs).