If you are an Anglican ordinand and you or a member of your household is living with a temporary or long-term health condition (physical or mental), we may be able to help.

Below are a number of health categories where we can provide support (click + to expand), but it is not an exhaustive list. Where there is a specific need, in relation to a health condition in your household we may request your consent for our medical advisor to speak with your nominated health professional.

We would advise contacting the grants team before applying for a health grant. Contact them via our contact form or on 0800 389 5192 or grants@clergysupport.org.uk.

Check your eligibility

Assistive technologies

Assistive technologies are products and services that empower disabled people to become more independent. People who have disabilities often have difficulty performing activities of daily living (ADLs) independently or even with assistance. ADLs are self-care activities that include toileting, mobility, eating, bathing, dressing and grooming.

The term covers a wide variety of technologies from education computer software, screen readers, hearing aids and environmental controls enabling users to operate doors, computers, tablets and other household appliances. Some technologies are relatively low cost, however, others remain relatively expensive such as communication aids.

In addition, we are able to provide mainstream technology (laptops/tablets/mobiles) for applicants living with long term disabilities/conditions, where there can be demonstrated a clear educational, social or wellbeing need.

We would expect all applicants to request any such equipment via NHS or social services in the first instance. In some cases, we may require an Occupational Therapy report / recommendation as part of the application. If you’re unable to access an OT assessment on the NHS within a reasonable timeframe, we can make a referral through our partnership with The OT Practice to arrange and cover the cost of this. Please speak to a member of the grants team for more information.


We are able to consider costs towards bereavement counselling for members of the household (including dependent children).

You would be expected to source your own counsellor, who would need to be registered with an accredited register as listed on the Professional Standards Authority.

Grants of up to £1,000 are available towards counselling support costs. Where possible, this would be paid to the counsellor directly for a set number of sessions (usually no more than 12), after which, we will review the need.


We are able to consider grants towards the cost of some private dentistry costs. We would not normally fund retrospective dentistry costs, but understand emergency cases would need to be retrospective in application.

It is unlikely we would consider purely cosmetic procedures (unless of a reconstructive nature). We are not able to provide continuing private dental costs on an ongoing basis.

Education psychologist assessment

We are able to consider the costs towards an education psychologist assessment for children of school age. We would usually consider up to £500 for such assessments.

Diagnostic Tests

We may be able to consider the cost of diagnostic tests unavailable on the NHS or Irish Health Service or those which have unreasonable waiting times (e.g. more than 6 months).

Household adaptations

This category covers essential adaptations of a home that you own/occupy to accommodate reasonable adjustments directly related to a clearly defined long term health condition or disability (e.g. where there is a medical need). Unfortunately, we are not able to support household adaptations of rented accommodation.

Such applications could include wet room conversions, sensory rooms, accessibility within the house or garden etc. The would be a need to illustrate that such an adaptation would have a substantial improvement in quality of life, mobility, independence, wellbeing and comfort.

We do expect that you have approached your local authority first to see you are eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. If eligible but the waiting time is over 12 months, we will consider the application in full, as long as there is a justification in terms of immediate need. Preferably this would come in the form of a letter of support from a health professional.

With the application you will need to provide an Occupational Therapists Assessment report from your Occupational Therapist and/or other agencies, and a supporting letter from their GP or specialist health professional (specialist nurse/consultant etc). If you’re unable to access an OT assessment on the NHS within a reasonable timeframe, we can make a referral through our partnership with The OT Practice to arrange and cover the cost of this.

Where possible, two quotes are to be provided when considering applications towards non-specialist works. At least one quote will be required when considering more specialist works. Please speak to a member of the grants team for more information.

Mobility aids and equipment

Where possible, we encourage you to provide an Occupational Therapy or physiotherapy assessment when applying for funding towards mobility aids or equipment. This is to ensure the most appropriate, personalised and safe equipment is being provided. If you’re unable to access an OT assessment on the NHS within a reasonable timeframe, we can make a referral through our partnership with The OT Practice to arrange and cover the cost of this.

Applications may include:

  • Adjustable beds
  • Stair lifts *
  • Electronic Scooters
  • Wheelchairs / manual and electronic
  • Riser/recliner chairs

We would expect all applicants to have approached the NHS/social services for such equipment in the first instance.  For example, if you have already been provided a wheelchair and there is no provision for further NHS funding, we may be able to help with the costs towards a second wheelchair (e.g. a lighter version for going out and about).

You will need to demonstrate how the assistive technology would impact your independence at home, school or work, ability and confidence.

For applications over £1,000, we will require an assessment report (from an Occupational Therapist or Physio), to ensure we are providing the best available long-term solution.

Where possible, two quotes must to be provided, however one quote will be acceptable if dealing with bespoke, specialized equipment. For any equipment funded, we will expect you to manage regular servicing of equipment and be responsible for extending any warranties.

* For those living in rented accommodation, we would expect applicants to seek permission from landlord’s, if considering installing a stair lift.

Occupational therapy assessment

Applications for assistive technologies, household adaptations, or mobility aids require an Occupational Therapist assessment. If you’re unable to access an OT assessment on the NHS within a reasonable timeframe, we can make a referral through our partnership with The OT Practice to arrange and cover the cost of this. Please speak to a member of the grants team for more information.

Occupational Therapist assessments can also cover help and advice around mental illness (including dementia), learning disabilities (autism), dyspraxia, ADHD, coordination difficulties etc.

Occupational Therapists must be registered and sourced from the Royal College of Occupational Therapists.

Other medical costs

We may be able to consider other medical costs or treatments that meet our charitable object of ‘relief of illness’.

We are unable to consider the following (unless in exceptional circumstances):

  • Private, retrospective medical costs
  • Operations available on the NHS / Irish Health Services
  • Cosmetic health procedures
  • Complementary therapies

Rehabilitation / physical therapies

This is for applicants who may require rehabilitation after surgery / operations. It can include live-in convalescent care, as well as short-term physiotherapy, speech and language therapy etc.

For live-in or 24 hour convalesce care, priority will be given to single applicants, or those where there are other care needs / long-term health issues in the household.

Where possible, rehabilitation must either be unavailable on the NHS, or a justification provided as to why extra support is required.

Talking therapies

Therapies for which you can apply include counselling, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), psychotherapy, etc.

To apply, the treatment must either be unavailable on the NHS or if available, an unreasonable waiting time for treatment. If you want to choose your own preferred practitioner then we would require them to be registered on the Professional Standards Authority.

We would ask that you provide a letter of support from your chosen therapist (on headed paper, including their accreditation details) which outlines the number of recommended sessions and the cost per session (we would normally consider up to a maximum of 12). Where possible, we aim to pay the therapist direct, by BACS, upon receipt of a monthly invoice and only within the approved grant amount.

We would usually be able to fund up to £1,000 on talking therapies.

Traumatic Events

We are able to support clergy and their dependents if they have experienced a recent traumatic experience (e.g. marriage breakdown, abuse, bullying, sexual assault etc).

Help and support will be tailored to what you are requesting, up to £2,000. Please contact our grants team so we can support you with any application.

Please note that you can apply for any of the above health grant categories through one grant application (you choose the category applied for as part of the application). If you have any queries please call our grants team confidentially on 0800 389 5192 or email us on grants@clergysupport.org.uk

Please apply for one category per application, as listed above, taking into consideration your most urgent area of need. Applications which request help from multiple categories are likely to experience processing delays.

Apply for an Ordinand Health Grant


If you are returning to finish an existing application then please go here.
You may also find the Grants FAQ page helpful.

We would expect those diagnosed with a long-term condition to be in receipt of eligible state benefits.

Retrospective applications are not normally funded, nor are private treatments or procedures which are available on the NHS or Irish Health Service.